Summer’s here! Well, summer movie season is here. The megablockbusters are here to kick you in the teeth and leave you wanting more! Well, maybe just punch you in the stomach. Still, the madness begins! Let’s take a look at May.
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR – May 6, RealD3D, IMAX3D. So yeah, it’s everything you wanted and more. It helps if you’ve been watching the other Marvel films, but even if you’re behind there’s a lot of spectacle on hand, and it’s smart as well as emotional. The new characters are sensational. An absolute must-see, even though there’s only one extended scene in proper IMAX it’s still worth seeing there.
- NICE GUYS – May 20. Shane Black is one hell of a writer, and he’s turning into a great director too. After hitting the heights with LETHAL WEAPON and most recently killing it with IRON MAN 3, this one is back to the buddy formula with Russel Crowe and Ryan Gosling absolutely killing it in 80s Los Angeles. DO NOT watch the most recent trailer, it gives away way too much of the film. A great follow-up to KISS KISS BANG BANG.
- MONEY MONSTER – May 13. Jodie Foster is back behind the camera for this common man vs wall street tale. A normal dude who lost everything when a popular stock huckster (George Clooney) made a bad call takes it out on the man himself, and folks start finally asking the hard questions. A tight looking thriller with a great cast rounded out with Julia Roberts. Should be a great night out for the adults.
- X-MEN: APOCALYPSE – May 27, RealD3D, IMAX3D. Another comic book film for 2016! It’s another period piece, set in the 80s this time after FIRST CLASS in the 60s and DAYS OF FUTURE PAST in the 70s. The first mutant is back to, well, kill everyone I guess. Poe Dameron himself, Oscar Isaac, is unrecognizable as Apocalypse, which is a real shame. I’ll be honest, I’m just not excited about this one. I enjoyed the last go-round but I think this one’s just going to be overkill. I’m ready to be pleasantly surprised.
- NEIGHBORS 2 – May 20. Comedy sequels are rarely as good as the first, and this one looks like more of the same. Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne are back as the suffering homeowners, this time they’re trying to unload the house before the new sorority next door drives away buyers. It’s nice to see the girls get a chance to be the bad guys for once, and Chloe Grace Moretz (KICK-ASS) looks particularly evil as the sorority leader.
- ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS – May 27, RealD3D, IMAX3D. The first film inexplicably made a billion dollars worldwide but Burton’s not back for the sequel, which is just fine with me since I did not care for the first go-round. James Bobin most recently made the MUPPETS films, but he also made FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS, so I’m willing to give this a shot but it’s likely going to be a complete mess.
- THE DARKNESS – May 13. After a trip to the Grand Canyon, young Master Wayne (the kid from GOTHAM) is possessed by Indian warrior ghosts. Hey, it’s Kevin Bacon as the dad! Pretty much the same movie as SINISTER, INSIDIOUS, THE CONJURING etc etc. I don’t think this will get a theatrical release here, but I’m throwing it in anyway.
- THE ANGRY BIRDS MOVIE – May 20. This is what, three years too late? A big-budget all-star animated film based on the beloved video game that peaked long ago? Oh, yes please! What’s that? The trailer ends in an extended pee joke? Nice! Sure, writer John Vitti worked on THE SIMPSONS and THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW, but he also wrote the ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS films, so I’d expect more of that and less of the historical greatness.
So there’s May all sorted out. June’s got some monsters too, but let’s hold off on that for now. Now get out there and enjoy some movies!