After Episode 2 wrapped I felt like I needed a bit of a break and some time to get the board game stream project up and running. After that got moving I did something I haven’t done in a very long time — took a bit of a summer(ish) vacation. It was my 50th birthday last month and to celebrate myself, Jamie and our partners spent a lovely week in New York City.
I’m back, rejuvenated, and starting to get into production on Ep 3. The voice lines for the cast were recorded when we did Ep 2 (with the exception of me & my partner’s lines), so I’m already at the stage of editing the main dialog track for the 1st scene and putting together the principal artwork.
Ep 3 will bring some unique challenges that I haven’t faced before. It’s pretty short, but there is a fair amount of action in it. Until now we’ve tended to avoid heavy action scenes since they’re very labour intensive, but obviously since it’s a cartoon about video games at some point we need to just dig in. This is that point.
As always, I plan to use some techniques to lessen the blow. We take examples from the past, particularly Anime. Speed lines and action stills can do a lot of the heavy lifting, with the added bonus that since our show is a lampoon on, well, everything, we can play up these elements for comedic effect.
Early days yet but I’m back on the weekly Friday dev blogs to keep myself honest and motivated. Got some personal stuff to deal with next week so progress will probably be slow, but I’ve prodded the beast and it’s starting to stir.